Strike the anvil on enterprise radio

An Entrepreneur's Journey Mobile App

Monday, March 17, 2014

Mide's Fun World - Funmilayo Opanubi Alasholuyi #inthespiritofenterprise

Nothing beats following your passion. The road may be rough, but in the end, you'll look back and be glad you lived your own life! Today I bring to you Funmilayo whose love for art led her to birth Mide's fun world. 

Enjoy........

Tell us about yourself

 My name is Princess Funmilayo Opanubi Alasholuyi. I am the first child of my parents and I have four siblings. I schooled in Lara Day Nursery and Primary School, Ikeja High School and London Metropolitan, then called: London Guildhall University. I have a Bsc (Hons) in Business & Business Information Technology. I am happily married with 3 kids.


 Tell us about your business

 I am the General Manager of Ereke Paints Ltd, and also the CEO/ MD of Mides' Fun World, also a Creative Artist of the company. As the G.M of Ereke Paints, I deal with colors too, which is also under interior decoration. So, both businesses go hand in hand.

The name was derived from our children's names: Ayomide, Iremide & Olamide, fondly known as the 'Mides. 

How did you get into this line of business?

I am a very creative person by nature, I love beautifying and creating things too. I am a Daystar member and I got inspired by Pastor +Sam Adeyemi's conferences and inspirational books, such as: 'start with what you have, 'the parable of dollars, ideas rule the world, etc. I got so much inspiration from the book and took action, by going to see an artist who trained me.

How will you summarize your journey so far?

Well, its been wonderful. I had my very first exhibition in September last year, 2013, it was supposed to be a 4 day event, but exceeded till October ending; as a result of the overwhelming reaction from the public. I think what people saw and felt, was beyond their expectation. I feel I created an awareness when it comes to art, working with different art media such as recyclable items, Ankara material, and other form of fabrics, hay, beads, etc. The exhibition was an eye opener for so many people, especially in our country Nigeria, compared to the Western world where art is more appreciated. Nigerians are becoming to appreciate art now.



What are the main challenges you face and how have you overcome them.

The challenges are not much, except that, there are times when the raw materials, such as the imported sprays we work with are scarce, but as a creative artist, I tend to improvise. Its all about being creative, even about the situation.

What advice would you give anyone who wants to go into arts in Nigeria 

You have to be passionate about art. You cannot just go into it for the sake of it. Secondly, you need to have your own style. You need to standout from other artists, that is your selling point. The same advise goes for any other type of business. This is, so that when people see your work, they can identify you with it.


Given the chance, will you do this again? 

Oh yes! its my passion, and will do it again, come what may.


1 comment: